Saturday, January 13, 2018

Birth Month Flowers on Vintage Hankies

Most of us know what our birth stone is; but do you know what your birth month flower is; or that you even have a birth month flower? There are various lists of birth month flowers and all the lists do not agree. So what you find here is a compilation of the lists I found. I am sure you have all figured out where I am going with this. There are lots of floral hankies and I want to share some of them with you and tell you a little about your flowers each month.

Month
Flower
January
February
Primrose / Violet / Iris
March
Daffodil / Jonquil
April
Sweet pea / Daisy
May
June
July
August
September
Morning Glory / Aster/Myosotis
October
Calendula / Marigold / Cosmos
November
December
Holly / Narcissus / Poinsettia



January’s birth month flowers are the carnation and the snowdrop.

The carnation is said to symbolize love, fascination and distinction.
Carnations come in several different colors and each color has a different meaning in the language of flowers. A pink carnation means affection, while a red carnation means ‘I love you.’ White carnations mean pure love, striped carnations mean regret that a love is not shared, and yellow means rejection or disappointment. 

Here are some vintage hankies and two Hanky Dresses with carnations from my collection. One of the dresses has been framed and is currently available in my Etsy shop. January Carnation Hanky Dress

I haven't found any hankies with snowdrops on them. If you have one I would love to hear from you and share a photo here.



Vintage hanky with white carnations which symbolize pure love.
Vintage hanky with lovely carnations, the birth month flower for January. Pink carnations symbolize affection while red carnations symbolize love.
Vintage hanky with lavendar and white carnations. White carnations symbolize pure love.





Vintage hanky with pink and red carnations - a January birth month flower.

Pink carnations symbolize affection while red one symbolize love.

Not sure what blue carnations mean. 

Pink carnations for affection decorate this vintage hanky. 
What a beautiful vintage hanky with a January birth monh flower - pink and red carnations.


This may be a vintage mourning hanky. Pink carnations for affection, red is for love, and white is for pure love.

Sadly, yellow carnations represent disappointment or rejection in the language of flowers.


2 comments:

  1. I have water lilies in my garden pond, I didn't realize I was growing my birth flower!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from my readers!