Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Story of Vintage Hankies

I recently had the privilege of attending a presentation about vintage hankies by master storyteller Katie Dix. This particular presentation was entitled Dabbers & Blowers: A History of the Handkerchief. Now, I have read a couple of books about hankies; but after listening to Katie, I realized how truly historical hankies are. She is so entertaining and did such a wonderful job of bringing the subject to life. The time just flew by as she graciously shared her knowledge of vintage hankies with a room full of at least 30 eager listeners.

After her presentation, some of us were sitting around talking when someone threw out the question, “What do you do with your vintage hankies?” That was when a lady pointed at me and said, “This is The Hanky Dress Lady.” Katie exclaimed, “You’re the one who makes the Hanky Dresses!” You see - we both knew of each other but our paths had never crossed and we had never met before. I think I can safely say that it was a thrill for both of us to finally meet one another.

Katie told me that she had purchased one of my hanky dresses in February of 2007 and that she was using it in her "Wipe & Wave Program" which highlights 17 ways to use a handkerchief.

If you would like to know more about Katie Dix and her wonderful presentations about hankies, here is link to her website: http://www.storyofvintagehankies.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from my readers!