Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Escutcheon

Allow me to introduce you to Amber and her Etsy Shop which is an extension of her unique hobby and talents. If you have not already read my previous blog post, "Custom Order for Amber", please do so because it explains how I met Amber online and how I first became exposed to her special talents.

She hand paints and sells these wonderful baby hangers based on designs from the 1930's. I think they are just so precious! You may click on the pictures to get a better look at her beautiful work. Now I am going to let Amber tell you in her own words a little bit about herself her hobby.





I did not have many toys as a child and for that reason I am extremely sentimental and a big collector. I have always been attracted to children’s things, especially from the 1920’s and 30’s. I take the imagery influence from things just like my childhood hanky.


When my son was little, I really wanted to open a baby boutique with a blend of new, vintage and artist made items. I was a single mother, so it never happened. 


But, I was also a collector; so once I found something like the vintage baby hangers, I was hooked.


I soon came to realize though, that the decal designs were very limited. I looked around at other textiles, books and toys I had also acquired and thought how fun it would be to move some of that imagery to new hangers made in the old style.


I made a pattern based on one in my collection, and originally had my grandfather cut them out of thin wood. (I am not super comfortable around a saw - I like and need my fingers!) My grandfather passed away several years ago, so I work with another experienced woodworker to cut them.


I do all the sanding, patching, priming, base and decorative paint, sealing and add the hanger hook and a bow...and Voila! 

I have even sold these for miniature dog clothing. 






This is just a small sampling of what she can do. I urge you to visit her Etsy shop and check out what she currently has available....and don't forget to check out the "sold items" so you can see all the cuties you missed out on....or might want to ask her to do as a custom order for you.

She also does hand embroidery onto baby Onesies. What a perfect baby shower gift that would be.

In addition, you will find many charming vintage items.

Click here to visit:  Escutcheon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from my readers!